THE FIRST YEAR STUDENT EXPERIENCE [FYSE]
The FYSE was officially launched in 2014 both in Durban and the Midlands. The purpose of the pro-gramme is to provide academic support, psycho-social support and personal development to first-year students at DUT. Through the FYSE, the university seeks to ensure through appropriate academic de-velopment and academic advice that first-year students adapt with minimal difficulty to the university environment, its demands and challenges.
While the focus of the FYSE is primarily on academic skills, aca-demic advising is enhanced by referring students to the appropri-ate academic services of the university. In addition to this, the other wing of the FYSE includes a project called Technology for Learning (TFL). The main aim of the TFL is to induct first year students on all the systems of the university. Below are some of the activities carried through in the TFL:
Activities performed in the project:
• Blackboard training.
• Induction on DUT email accounts and more information provision.
• Learn typing skills (faster typing, touch typing, etc.)
• Internet searching skills (to quickly find relevant information).
• Basics on how to maintain your own computer when broken or when it needs some updates.
• Train students on how to configure DUT Wi-Fi using ITS Wi-Fi guide.
• Turnitin (based on request from academic departments).
• Teach other computer programs based on departmental requests.
The broad aims of the FYSE programme are:
• To ensure a smooth transition for first-year students in areas of academic writing, reading, critical thinking and university life in general.
• To provide multi-pronged support and development to first year students that takes the form of ongoing orientation during the first year of study.
• To initiate students into the academic literacies and other ba-sic conceptual tools required for success in their chosen pro-grammes.
To find out more about this project download our CASE FOR SUPPORT booklet.
ADVANCEMENT AND ALUMNI RELATIONS
Monday - Thur 08:00 - 16:30
Friday 08:00 - 15:00
ML Sultan Campus